background

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happy Easter!

 Cutest Easter Bunny EVER.
We had a glorious time coloring eggs this year.  We used food coloring to dye them, as opposed to the Paas packages.  I was very satisfied with the results - if anything they were too bright - I think I will use fewer drops next year - but it was really cool.







I think Drake was my most creative dye-er this year.  He did stripes, painted polka-dots with a paintbrush, tried layering the color, used wax for one dip, then wiped it off for another . . .  He was quite clever. 

 

Amari is cute, as always.  All of her eggs were severely cracked by the time she was done.
Zander wanted all of his to be dark blue and green.  (And we had a lot of those, since we ended up with 19 experimental colors.)  Then, after he was done, he insisted on giving almost all of them away.  He's such a giving sort! 

me, just for posterity - I had to prove I was there.
Jason made a delicious dinner for us.  :)  Here he is, cooking with his mp3 player. 
We purposely dyed eggs while Jovi was napping, but she LOVED the egg hunt!  I color-coded the kids this year, and told them what color they were allowed to find, so I could do different levels of hiding places.  So I picked bright pink and yellow for Jovi, and she took it to heart.  I tried to get her to put an extra brown and grey one in her basket, and she flatly refused.
We had cool fishy eggs this year.  Zander got all the sharks, Drake got the green pufferfish, Irelynd got the blue and white starfish, Amari got the clownfish (nemos), and Jovi got the bright pink starfish and the bright yellow pufferfish.  It was slick, I tell you!
Jason helped with the hiding = awesome hiding places.  I did Amari and Jovi's - they took much less skill.  (Jovi's were all just in the middle of the yard!)
Chocolate bunnies are much-beloved: notice the tiny gnawing marks?  Unfortunately, this wasn't Jovi's bunny; she swiped it from Amari. . .
OUR JERUSALEM DINNER:  always the kids' favorite part of Easter.  Here we have falafel (I homemade it this year, instead of using the box variety - much yummier!), cheese, pita bread, grapes, nuts, olives, and lentil soup (decidedly un-kosher; ham just makes it taste so much better!).
Here we have a better view of my nice pitas, which turned out so much better this year than last.  I've decided the secret is to let them rise for awhile after you flatten the dough, before cooking. 
And cheese and tomato and cucumber salad.  And the falafel again.  Fun times.  The kids especially love washing their hands before in a basin, and eating on the floor on pillows, (with their hands).  Good Easter for the Brown Family.  

2 comments:

Noelle and Corey said...

What a fun and creative Easter celebration you had! I feel really lame that it was all I could do to watch the first 1/3 of The Lamb of God on Youtube! I'll do better next year!

vfg said...

You do such a nice job with holidays! The color coded Easter eggs were an excellent idea, too.

I read about someone using wilton cake decorating colors to dye eggs; the hues are yummy. That would, of course, be a better idea if you already had those on hand, ergo...I haven't tried ;O).