background

Monday, May 4, 2009

SEUSSICAL!


I haven't blogged for a bit, so I have to back up in time and talk about Seussical. Irelynd and Drake had the time of their lives. They tried out back in October (I think) and practiced and practiced their hearts out until they opened at the beginning of March. For those of you who haven't ever seen Seussical, it is a really wonderful musical from Broadway that is a combination of like 16 different Dr. Seuss books. We are a big Dr. Seuss family, so this was especially enjoyable. Irelynd was a fish (from McGilligot's pool) and a circus performer (in the circus that Horton and the egg were sold to). Drake was a cadet in the army commanded by General Von Schmitz, fighting for BUTTER SIDE UP! As you may expect, with my volunteering and actual attending (they performed six times), I saw this show lots and lots, but honestly was sad on closing night - not sick of it at all. I think that has something to so with the fact that I adore my kids and love to watch them. But it was really a well-produced/directed show. It was put on by Riverton City, who has a great theater program, and directed be the drama teacher at Bingham High School. The main parts were performed by really amazing vocalists, too. I was impressed.
I think it was also good for the kids to be in - they both enjoyed it, and it broadened their (especially Drake's) horizons. With the time it takes to be in one of those plays, you're happy you did it, but are willing to wait at least a year before taking on something of that magnitude again . . . Fun, though.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Those plays are time consuming. I have another friend whose kids do it also. She is always at play practice. Good job mama. They were so fun to watch. It was very entertaining and the kiddos did a super job.

vfg said...

SO CUTE! I love Drake's crooked smile. One year, I'll be there for one :)